Thread: McDaniel 314 Shaft

Default McDaniel 314 Shaft

Hello Seybert's Forum Members,
    I would like to take this time out to give KJ the credit he deserves...
    I meet KJ on the AZ Forum and could see he was very knowledgable about Maching.. So, I chose him to ask for a new Predator 314-2 Shaft for Lenny at Hawaiian Brian's Billiards..
    The Cue KJ had to match the new Predator 314 Blank to was a Bill McDaniel Cue.. Which is non standard..
    Although it's a 5/16" x 14 Thread Pin. Bill's Cue's Pin are tight in the Standard Production Brass Inserts available on the market and will seize if installed together..
    Anyway, KJ did an excellent job in the fit-up (Cue rolled straight) and in matching the Ring/Collar assembly.. And, Lenny was pleased with KJ's work.. By the 2nd night, Lenny was doing this amazing stun-follow shot that was defying physics.. Amazing!!!...

For what it's worth, KJ has my "Seal of Approval" and would not hesitate to request his services again..
    I'm sure all the Members here already knew about his workmanship and great attitude towards others.. But, I just had to share my experience with you...
    Thanks KJ for a job well done....
    Alton - Cue Caps
    Last edited by cuecaps; 05-20-2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    Cue Caps - "The Rodney Dangerfield of Cue Accesorries"
    My Photo Album:
    http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/cuecaps/

Default Re: McDaniel 314 Shaft

I only got to see KJ work in pictures but they do reflect greatness...

As for the McDaniel joint, my old standard 314 and my current standard 314 and Z shafts all fit the McDaniel with no problem, Predator makes them loose enough.
    The OB-1 were a bit tight fit but I got it loosen a bit and now they fit just fine.

Only reason I see to customize a Predator shaft for a McDaniel is the ring work as the nickel ring is much thinner on the McDaniel.
    " A BAD NIGHT OF POOL IS BETTER THEN A GOOD DAY AT WORK "
    http://www.ibilliard.co.il
    My Humble (but growing...) Pool Cues Collection

KJ has done a lot of mate and matches for me, all have been top notch! it's very clever how he can replicate the ringwork on a cue

Howzit Skor,
    Yes, That N/S Ring was the reason We went to KJ for.
    It's like .015" + or-.
    As for the Pin, I took the Atlas Brass Insert to the Poolroom and tried it on per KJ's request to be sure.. About 1/2 way down, it started to seize.. I was in big trouble.. What is happening is that slight tightness created heat and expanded something.. I would have to un-screw it back, wait 15 seconds, tun again, wait, turn again.. It seems about 15 second wait between trys was enough to "cool down" and eventually got it off.
    Boy, that saved me.. I almost ruined Lenny's McDaniel Cue and I didn't have anything to do with that sale but make the connection.. I didn't charge anything, I was just the middleman.. "Unwarrented Risk", no body's fault but my own..

Could it be that your shafts were "Tapped Out" for the McDaniel cue?
    I know Schon cues are tight with the Standard Inserts Too. I gotta tap those too, for Schons..
    For those of you who don't know, "Tapped-out" is rethreading the Brass Insert with the 5/16" x 14 Internal Threading tool again, that is slightly larger, to "Open up" the clearance of the Standard Threaded Brass Insert.
    Thanks all... Alton
    Cue Caps - "The Rodney Dangerfield of Cue Accesorries"
    My Photo Album:
    http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/cuecaps/

I've used the McDaniel for "taping-out" the OB-1 shafts... when I got the Predator shafts they were fine as they came in, no need for "tapping-out" and I never mentioned that they are for my MAC so I doubt if someone did it for me...

I have a Jacoby and a Schon as well and the Predators and OB-1 shafts fit them all.
    " A BAD NIGHT OF POOL IS BETTER THEN A GOOD DAY AT WORK "
    http://www.ibilliard.co.il
    My Humble (but growing...) Pool Cues Collection

Thread Information