Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tight pockets

Default Tight pockets

Hello...

just share with you guys some photos of the pocket size in the pool hall I used to go here in Tokyo....

the pockets are about 9cm+-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (45.4 KB, 38 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (47.7 KB, 29 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (45.6 KB, 23 views)

Default Re: Tight pockets

anyone know what the actual size should be of a pocket "a proffesional size"?

there is no standard pocket size, it will vary depending on the organization, tournament, league, table, etc. i think tighter would be considered 4.5", like on a diamond table. exactly the width of two balls. 5" would be on the loose side. also the side pockets are usually cut a little wider than the corners. the depth of the shelf and the cut of the pocket opening also has a lot of effect on how forgiving the pocket plays.

those pockets that wai showed from japan are crazy tight!

ya..... in many local pool halls here they will have 1 or 2 tables with tight pockets! This is for the staffs and also some regulars to practice on it...

On the one in the pics, it is almost certain that the ball wont go into the corner pockets should it hits the rail first.

By the way, there are many philipinos players staying in Tokyo... the likes of Antonio Lining, Ramil Gallego are all here....

These pockets are great for pocketing practice but they take a lot of the game when playing on these type of tables as you start to play like snooker which is much less flamboyant the pool... many shots become impossible to accomplish because even though the OB might go in you will not get the desired shape which cause many players to give up the offensive shot and play defense.
    " A BAD NIGHT OF POOL IS BETTER THEN A GOOD DAY AT WORK "
    http://www.ibilliard.co.il
    My Humble (but growing...) Pool Cues Collection

Quote Originally Posted by skor View Post
    These pockets are great for pocketing practice but they take a lot of the game when playing on these type of tables as you start to play like snooker which is much less flamboyant the pool... many shots become impossible to accomplish because even though the OB might go in you will not get the desired shape which cause many players to give up the offensive shot and play defense.
    Hey Skor,

Thanks for your help the other day in choosing a cue... i have got the Schon LTD from Sey's... it looks great but the deflection on the Schon shaft was really killing me... luckily i found good deal on a used 314-2 and now it plays super! :-D

you are right that these kind of tables really take alot out of the game, especially to normal players (incl. myself:P). However, there are some great players here who can pot the balls with confident strokes as if they are playing on a 4.5 - 5" pocket tables...

If you can't cheat the pockets (hit a rail first) then a lot of options for position are out....

These pockets are a killer for straight shots along the rail when trying to get extreme draw :(

Quote Originally Posted by wai View Post
    Hello...

just share with you guys some photos of the pocket size in the pool hall I used to go here in Tokyo....

the pockets are about 9cm+-

That is brutal.

What does 9cm+- = in inches.

1 centimeter = 0.393700787 inch

9 cm = 3.543307083 inch

For BCA equipments specs check out:

http://www.phespirit.info/games/pool...ifications.htm