Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Pechauer vs. Joss

Thread: Pechauer vs. Joss

Default Pechauer vs. Joss

I've decided after many happy years with an old Dufferin expert sneaky that it is time for an upgrade.

I would like to stay with a no-wrap relatively simple cue, and am not looking for a 314 or Z upgrade just yet. Narrowed the choices down to a few Pechauer (i.e PS02 / PS06) and Joss (i.e JOS62 / JOS69) models.

My question to you is how do these two brands compare (in terms of construction and playabilty), and if anyone has any other recommendations as well. Thanks.

R.B.

Default Re: Pechauer vs. Joss

Both makers producing fine cues, 20 years ago I would say go with the Joss....
    I think that today the quality of the Pechauer is higher.
    " A BAD NIGHT OF POOL IS BETTER THEN A GOOD DAY AT WORK "
    http://www.ibilliard.co.il
    My Humble (but growing...) Pool Cues Collection

Go with the Pechauer. Great hit, great feel, fit and finish is top notch and the shaft wood is top grade. I have this one, Ebony & Ivory III LTD., all white is ivory and it's amazing, solid ivory piloted quick release joint. The shafts are the heaviest shafts I have seen, 5.6oz., 5.3oz. & 4.9oz. The finish on this cue is one of the best I have seen also. Go for the Pechauer PS06, you won't be sorry.

Last edited by jsggems; 11-28-2007 at 10:32 AM.

Thank you both for your replies. Jsggems, that is truly a beautiful cue. I prefered the Pechauer designs, and am happy to hear overall good reviews.

I did have one other question: I've seen many threads posted about the "hit / feel" of different joint types. Pechauer offers a phenolic or stainless steel joint on the cues I'm looking at,as well as an implex option as well. Since I like the feel of the signature joint on my dufferin, I was wondering which joint would give a similar feel.

Thanks again,

R.B.

The Dufferin signature joint is a metal to metal joint which provide a hard hit.

The stainless steel joint will be the hardest joint but since it's only metal one side it will not give a hard hit as the Dufferin.
    Although other specs of the cue can add hardness to the hit such as stiff shaft and hard tip.
    " A BAD NIGHT OF POOL IS BETTER THEN A GOOD DAY AT WORK "
    http://www.ibilliard.co.il
    My Humble (but growing...) Pool Cues Collection

isn't a lot of the feel of the dufferin signature joint because of it's weight? it is supposed to have the approximate density of wood so that it feels like a one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by RB View Post
    Thank you both for your replies. Jsggems, that is truly a beautiful cue. I prefered the Pechauer designs, and am happy to hear overall good reviews.

I did have one other question: I've seen many threads posted about the "hit / feel" of different joint types. Pechauer offers a phenolic or stainless steel joint on the cues I'm looking at,as well as an implex option as well. Since I like the feel of the signature joint on my dufferin, I was wondering which joint would give a similar feel.

Thanks again,

R.B.
    Thanks for the compliment on the cue, I really like the hit and playibility of it.
    I guess ths SS joint would hit close to what your looking for, I think. Good luck with what you choose to get, and when you do, make sure to post a review and photos of the cue.
    Last edited by jsggems; 11-29-2007 at 03:20 PM.

Mcchen, you brought up a good point about the density of the signature joint. I had read something similar as well... which is what prompted me to ask about it here.

A guy at my local room let me shoot with his JP series cue with the stainless joint. It felt pretty close, if anything a touch firmer. I realize it's not the same as the Pro Series, however I think that's the way I'll go.

I'm definately going to go with a Pechauer Pro Series cue. I thought I made up my mind (PS-06; rosewood stain; 12.25 mm shaft w/ tiger tip), then I noticed Seybert's can substitute one of several wooden wraps for the standard linen wrap on the cues in that series. Needless to say, the saga continues....

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone. Jssgems... I promise to post a few photos and review when I finally get my cue.

Happy Holidays,

R.B.

Quote Originally Posted by RB View Post
    I've decided after many happy years with an old Dufferin expert sneaky that it is time for an upgrade.

I would like to stay with a no-wrap relatively simple cue, and am not looking for a 314 or Z upgrade just yet. Narrowed the choices down to a few Pechauer (i.e PS02 / PS06) and Joss (i.e JOS62 / JOS69) models.

My question to you is how do these two brands compare (in terms of construction and playabilty), and if anyone has any other recommendations as well. Thanks.

R.B.
    I have owned very high end Joss cues and Pechauer cues and they are both excellent. I would have said joss if you found and older one in good condition, and a pechauer now, BUT, the OB series cues butts are made by Joss and I have the highest end 408 and it puts any joss or pechauer I have ever owned to shame. For the longest time I had no idea the OB butts were made by Joss until a pro raved about them in an interview. You get a high performance shaft, a great Joss butt, and high quality tip. What more could you want? They come in 4 price ranges and the only difference is inlays. The OB 108, the cheapest, would put both of the Pechauer and Joss cues that you named to shame if you examine what you are getting. In my humble opinion (actually a pros, I can't take credit for it, but I am an owner and it is the best cue short of a custom cue).

Thread Information