one millimeter.
    but size isn't everything....

try this:
    http://www.seyberts.com/catalog/Pred...afts-46-1.html
    " A BAD NIGHT OF POOL IS BETTER THEN A GOOD DAY AT WORK "
    http://www.ibilliard.co.il
    My Humble (but growing...) Pool Cues Collection

Default Re: Difference between 3142 and Z2 12.75mm vs 11.75mm

the 314 is more like a traditional pool cue with a larger tip and pro taper. the z is more like a carom or snooker cue, with a euro taper and smaller tip. which one works best for you is up to you. i like the z myself as i am used to that kind of shaft. a lot of people say with a small tip like the z, you have to have a more accurate stroke or that it spins the ball too much. i don't find that to be the case though

I have a couple of 314s and a Z, all first generation. I prefer the firmer feel of the hit of the Z.

I can tell you the technical differences and what it means to your game.

1. the 314-2 is a millimeter bigger than the Z-2.

The benefit of a smaller shaft is that it weighs less in the front of the shaft, do to less mass. Less mass translates into less deflection. The only draw back to this is that you are aiming with a smaller aiming point which means you need to be more accurate and it is less forgiving than the 314-2.

2. the 314-2 has a Pro taper which basically means that it tapers down for around 15" then the taper straightens out. The Z-2 has a euro taper or a strong taper, which basically means that it is tapered throughout the whole shaft.

The benefit of this is that an object with a conical taper is less likely to vibrate. Much like a pyramid, one of the strongest structural shapes in known to man. Because it has less vibration it provides better contact with the ball which relates to more spin with less effort.
    Quiet beauty, screaming performance!

I would rather go for the 314(2), I like its forgiveness - I feel like my stroke is not up to the task of playing with a Z(2).
    The 314 still can spin the cb as much as you will hardly ever need and yet it's forgiving.
    Best regards,
    David Bredan

darrin, i play with a z2 and i've never understood the rationale of why people say a smaller tip is less forgiving. i never felt this to be true in my experience, even when playing pool with my snooker cues which are 9-10mm. can you explain why this is? if you are off from your aim point by a certain amount, why would a bigger tip make this less of a problem?

The tip is softer then the ball so even though both 11mm or 13mm maybe shaped with the same radius, on Impact the compress and get flatten.
    A smaller diameter will cover less surface on the cue ball then a large diameter.
    So if you aimed at the center of the ball (no spin) and accidentally hit off center then the larger tip actually hit the cue ball closer to the center and produce less spin and less deflection (squirt).
    One of the reasons that the Z shaft reduces cue ball deflection so much more then the 314 is not just the lower mass at the tip but also the ability to generate the same amount of spin by staying closer to the center will deflect the cue ball less.
    " A BAD NIGHT OF POOL IS BETTER THEN A GOOD DAY AT WORK "
    http://www.ibilliard.co.il
    My Humble (but growing...) Pool Cues Collection

I switched from the original 314 to the Z2 and absolutely love it. The main benefit is I can get and control much more english and draw with a softer stroke. I also find that I am miscueing less because I can get the desired cue ball movement with this softer stroke. The only drawback is trying to come up with the cash to replace my 314 playing shaft and back up shafts with Z2 shafts!

That is right on SKOR! Quite a few people that are left or right eye dominate have problems with this also. Using a third eye trainer is a great way to correct and aiming problems that you may be having.
    Quiet beauty, screaming performance!

Thread Information