Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no more seybert's bucks on predator?

Default Re: no more seybert's bucks on predator?

interesting story poohkiller....sounds like they need someone like you to open up a REAL billiards shop over there!

The no free bee's thing on Predator is to protect you guys and the brand image. We want our dealers to compete on Customer service not price. That is what has made Seyberts so strong over the years as it is, and that is why they are the number one Predator dealer in the world!

What I mean by protecting you is this; Say I purchase a Joeshmo cue for 1200 from a dealer that retailed for 1400. My buddy likes the cue and decides to go and buy the same cue from someone else. He gets his cue from another dealer but only pays 800 because the dealer really needs the sales. Now the cue that I bought, is it worth 1200 anymore? It would really worry me and make me wonder if I got what I paid for?

Predator has the highest standards for any billiard company in the world. Owning a Predator is more than billiard equipment, it is a high performance piece of sporting goods, it's prestige, it's pride it's knowing that what I have is the best performing product on the market. This is the reason why companies like Apple, Bose don't discount either.
    Quiet beauty, screaming performance!

I can easily understand - or even support - this way of thinking, it really is good that I know I sent my money on something reasonable.

Yet I believe that discounts like free (or at least discounted) shipping will not decrease the value of my cue as it will worth $475.20 regardless I paid 20 bucks on a USPS shipping or 120 on UPS Express!
    Perhaps material bonuses (let them be a hand towel, jps or something more expensive) will not fit into this frame as that could be something that other dealers are not willing to provide - but this thing with the shipping is great, it is awesome that Seybert's has got this option as this is something that one might ask or expect when paying 5-6-....9 hundred dollars on something.

Not that much momentous but something that makes the customer feel more pleased.

However this momentum (The Predator contract with its dealers) makes me, personally, feel a bit more likely to get a Schön with which I get 60 Seybert's bucks instead of a few dollars off from the original intl. shipping.
    One last thing: back a while I was thinking of getting a Predator model that is on the more expensive side because I would get a nice J/B from the Sey's Bucks which one I could sell locally - this way decreasing the overall price of the cue by about 100 or so dollars that is quite remarkable (or with a bit of luck I could sell it even above the price I got it for considering the local plight).

These are just my thoughts regarding this question, I hope you will not take it as a kick as no offense is intended.

Thank you for your time,
    Best regards,
    David Bredan

I'm also a scuba diver and certain brands do the same thing with their products. I never see anyone say, "Wow! You have brandX, and they really protect their name by being high priced." It's mostly just "gee that's pretty expensive when compared to this one with the same features", and then they buy the cheaper one.

I was recently torn between getting a Predator and a Viking for my first 400$ purchase. I went with Viking because of the Seybert bucks. To me the bucks didn't devalue my cue, they just allowed me to pick up a training video and joint protectors for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Say I purchase a Joeshmo cue for 1200 from a dealer that retailed for 1400. My buddy likes the cue and decides to go and buy the same cue from someone else. He gets his cue from another dealer but only pays 800 because the dealer really needs the sales. Now the cue that I bought, is it worth 1200 anymore? It would really worry me and make me wonder if I got what I paid for?
    Actually a cue, or anything else for that matter, is only worth what the first sale is for. In the case of a $1400 suggested retail cue that Sid purchases from Predator for $700, it is worth $700. So by that logic everyone who buys that cue (except Sid) overpays for it. Or they are purchasing customer service if you want to look at it that way. If Sid sells me that Predator for $1200 is it worth $500 for his customer service or will the consumer find the same Predator for $800 from Fly By Night Billiards a better value?

Now I don't begrudge any seller a profit just as I don't begrudge a consumer shopping for the best price. After all I don't have to purchase the cue if I think the price is too high and the seller doesn't have to sell the cue for a price they feel is to low.

I certainly don't begrudge the folks at Predator for their, apparently successful, marketing practices. And if Predator is putting conditions on retailers that retailers think are unfair they don't have to buy Predator products either. After all, retailers are consumers just like me.

Thread Information