Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Favorite tip - Page 8

View Poll Results: What is your favorite cue tip

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sumo

1 1.12%
  • Tiger

2 2.25%
  • Everest

5 5.62%
  • Talisman Water Buffalo

5 5.62%
  • Talisman Pro

10 11.24%
  • Chandivert

2 2.25%
  • Elk Master

2 2.25%
  • Triangle

7 7.87%
  • LePro

7 7.87%
  • Moori

36 40.45%
  • Other

12 13.48%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Favorite tip

Default Re: Favorite tip

I have a Tiger Emerald tip on one of my shafts, it is a nice tip but I didn't play with it enough to establish any real opinion.
    As for the tip-pik, it depends on how you use it. I've been using it on many layered tips and never had a problem.
    " A BAD NIGHT OF POOL IS BETTER THEN A GOOD DAY AT WORK "
    http://www.ibilliard.co.il
    My Humble (but growing...) Pool Cues Collection

Thanks for the reply. An interesting subject: The proper method for using a Tip PiK ( I tend to call it a Tip-Pic because it seems to me that the first time I ever saw one, that was the brand name. It was back about '92. I bought one, a brass cylinder type. But I could be wrong... It's happened before.)

I have always used them lightly, and just on the outer edge of the tip about 1/8th of an inch, never on the center of the tip. I like to press gently down and ever so slightly twist it as I bring it up and out of the tip. This is the method I began with before laminate tips. The first layered tip I used was a Moori about the same time, the mid nineties, and the top layers of the tip, whose edges had been exposed by shaping, would come up. This also happened on another brand but I am not sure what brand it was, perhaps a Kamui. This Emerald doesn't do that. Whatever they are doing with the lamination process makes the weld so firm it is as if it is a single piece tip. At least that is how this tip is working. I have been using it about two months now.

I still would love to have some Chandivert tips. Champion, Eureka, but it's never going to happen. I used Hercules single piece tips and they were ok, but I haven't tried their newer layered ones.

Another interesting question: How do the various materials used in tips, i.e., cow leather, water buffalo, pigskin, et al. compare as to keeping their "suppleness" and not drying out when kept in a drawer for a long time. I tend to buy large quantities now that Chandivert left me high and dry, and also because the price escalations make buying them now a better deal IMHO. (Actually, I ran a Present Worth of Expenditures cost study...yeah right).

Anyway, thank you for your response.

headache

The problem is with the twist.... there is really no need to do that.
    I just tap the tip with it all over the tip, this creates tiny holes in the tip that gives the needed pores and roughness to hold the chalk.

Here is how it looks before and after

" A BAD NIGHT OF POOL IS BETTER THEN A GOOD DAY AT WORK "
    http://www.ibilliard.co.il
    My Humble (but growing...) Pool Cues Collection

I have tried all of the moori tips, and the medium is just aweful. The moori soft is preferred by most professionals in a poll and it has incredible grip, but it wears out quick, because it is soft. In second place among pros was the Kamui soft, because of great grip and consistency. In third place was the moori hard, because it last a long time, as does not need a lot of shaping or scuffing. I do not know why the medium is so bad, but everyone on my pool team has tried it and hates it. Another odd ball tip is the tiger everest, it is aweful and requires constant maintenance, but the medium sniper is amazing. The talisman water buffalo was the poll choice of trick shot pros, so they must be pretty amazing.
    Your 2 cents is worth it by the way. Moori tips are consistent, even if the mediums are consistently bad.

I am really curious to try the new Tiger Onyx tip. I have always been a big fan of aged leather tips. The orginal Moori tips were made this way. Just not sure how I feel about having a black tip?

I love the new Onyx tips from Tiger

I would love to see this poll Robert, you now there is little to almost no difference between a mori soft, med and hard on a durometer. Most pro's that I know personally use a mori hard.

My top 3 of the tips I've tried in order are:

Tiger Everest
    Moori Medium (the original ones)
    Kamui Black Medium

Thread Information