Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to replace Moori Tip?

Default When to replace Moori Tip?

Hi, I just joined the group and I have a question about Moori tips. I have been playing with my new tip (med) for about a year and was wondering when is it time to replace? I'm not sure if Moori's work better when there is a full tip . How low can it be without affecting play. I'm a 5 in APA.

Dick

i play with a moori m too, i let it go down to about the thickness of a quarter then i replace it. i don't really notice much difference in performance when its full or thin. it probably hits a bit harder when the tip is thin, but the difference is small

Thanks for reply. I have about 2 quarters worth left at this point. What firmness do you play? I got my 314 shaft with a med Moori and it feels OK. I am not sure if a soft would not stand up as well?

Thanks,
    Dick

A soft would be more prone to mushrooming. And as you know, if you are using a Moori med, that the med is already prone to mushrooming. Especially when new. For me, that isn't much of a concern. I don't mind spending a little extra time between trips to the pool room to shave, reshape, and burnish my tip if neccessary. Some people don't like to spend the time. Others don't like the way a soft or med tip feels. In the end it's up to you. If you like the feel of a soft tip, I would imagine that it would mean more work. I haven't gone down to a soft yet because I really like the med. So all of the above is mere speculation based on my experiences with the transition from hard tip to med tip.

Also, I don't hit as hard as I did when I first started using the med, and my tip doesn't mushroom quite as much. Although it does still mushroom a little. 8)
    Boy, he is great! Jeez, that old fat man. Look
    at the way he moves. Like a dancer.
    And them fingers, them chubby fingers. And that stroke. It's like he's, uh, like he's playing a
    violin or something.

i use a medium, and i'm happy with it, never tried a soft or quick. i haven't had too much problems with mushrooming, i trimmed it once soon after it was new and not since then. i'm not too concerned about mushrooming though, it's easy to shave or sand off. but definitely softer tips tend to mushroom more, but layered tips like the moori mushroom less than single layer tips. i don't mind spending the time to trim a tip, but if you don't want to be bothered with that, go with a harder layered tip and it'll be less work. but the best would just go with the tip that plays best for you and if it mushrooms, it mushrooms, just give it a trim

Quote Originally Posted by nathar
    I haven't gone down to a soft yet because I really like the med.
    If I was you I'd certainly give a try to the soft. If you honestly like to spend time for shaping your tip I think the soft hit would worth the effort. As far my experiences you can give waaay more spin with the soft.. and shaping doesn't take that much that you shouldn't spend on working on it.

you might want to try a sniper, i hear they are softer than moori mediums and you don't have to maintain them much at all. i think i'll give one a shot soon

after playing with a soft (moori) tip for about 8 months, last week I "jumped" to a hard tip..... and for the last week my game is on!!!
    I did really good on league night last monday, played 3 matches against an A player, a B player and a C player and won all those matches... (BTW I'm a B player) also had a really good shooting afternoon yesterday when I played this guy a race to 7 and won 7-1 after winning 6 in a row...

The sound of the hard tip is a bit weird but I get good action from it and I don't need to shape it all the time....
    " A BAD NIGHT OF POOL IS BETTER THEN A GOOD DAY AT WORK "
    http://www.ibilliard.co.il
    My Humble (but growing...) Pool Cues Collection

yeah i know what you mean by the sound of those hard tips. i have a tiger jump break tip on one of my cues, and i tried once a friends moori quick and they make a ticking sound when you hit. sorta like the phenolic sound, but toned down.

i've got a sniper on the way, see what's thats like. a lot of people seem to really like them. maybe when my moori medium wears out i'll put a hard moori on instead, sounds like it worked well for skor

on the other end of the spectrum, i have a snooker cue with an elkmaster that i sometimes use to play pool. it's soft, but goes well with the stiff hit of a snooker cue, kinda balances out.

Yeah I know what you mwan about the snooker cue, I have one as well but I only use it to play snooker (once in a blue moon...)

BTW the hard tip that I've put on is not a moori it's a Wizard tip, it looks and feels just like the moori does only cost half of it....
    " A BAD NIGHT OF POOL IS BETTER THEN A GOOD DAY AT WORK "
    http://www.ibilliard.co.il
    My Humble (but growing...) Pool Cues Collection

Thread Information