Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cue used in "The Hustler"?

Default The cue used in "The Hustler"?

Does anyone know what cue was used by fast Eddie or Fats in this movie?

It certainly wasn't the cue used in TCoM.

LWW
    "No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys. Just pool. Nothing else. This is Ames, mister.."

He used a Balbushksa. It was the same cue he passed down to Tom Cruise in The Color of Money.
    "Some people get all the breaks. Others just get broken."

The "Balabushka" in the COM was not the real thing!! it was a cue made by Joss.
    If the question is what were the real cues that were used in the movie then I don't know for sure but let's not forget that the movie came out in 1961 and back then there were not a lot of cue makers like today,
    Jackie Gleason (fats) got a cue from Willie Mosconi as a gift, that cue was made by Herman Rambow, Mr Rambow was also employed at Brunswick as a cue maker before he started to make his own cues.
    I think that Brunswick was the biggest cue maker at the time so my guess that they either used Brunswick cues or Rambow cues.

Check out the INTERNATIONAL CUEMAKERS HALL OF FAME
    some of the guys up there were making cues at the time the movie came out so they might even used their cues
    http://www.internationalcuemakers.co...age=halloffame
    " A BAD NIGHT OF POOL IS BETTER THEN A GOOD DAY AT WORK "
    http://www.ibilliard.co.il
    My Humble (but growing...) Pool Cues Collection

Quote Originally Posted by skor
    Jackie Gleason (fats) got a cue from Willie Mosconi as a gift, that cue was made by Herman Rambow
    A year or so ago this cue was for sale - - around $30k IIRC.

Wow, awesome info, I know I learned something. I had always thought that it was one of the Willie Hoppe cues, the ones that came with a brass joint, leather wrap and blue label on the butt sleeve.
    Professional Pool Player (a.k.a. unemployed)

Quote Originally Posted by skor
    The "Balabushka" in the COM was not the real thing!! it was a cue made by Joss.
    I sure am glad to here that from someone else other than myself. I have heard that for years and always said it myself. What is even funnier, I just purchased a new Brunswick table, I was glancing through this book that came with the table and there in the Hall of Fame section it stated that the cue was a Balabushka...I knew it was a Joss!

after seeing the hustler i looked for a knock-offof his cue.but i think ill have to go custom.id like to have one made but cant really see spending that kinda cash for a custom yet.my game isnt perfect yet.but when it is.....

If you are looking for a replica then Adams cues make some replicas...
    " A BAD NIGHT OF POOL IS BETTER THEN A GOOD DAY AT WORK "
    http://www.ibilliard.co.il
    My Humble (but growing...) Pool Cues Collection

Default crooked

Hey crooked,

If you look through these forums you will see that a lot of people have posted pics and a model number of that Joss that was used in the Color of Money. You can buy that one fairly cheap. A lot cheaper than buying a custom cue.
    If they don't have a pool hall in Heavan, then I ain't going!

Default Gleason and Newmans' Cue in The Hustler

Rambow told me that Willie Mosconi brought both Gleason and Newman to his shop to have cues made for the movie, The Hustler. He had a photo on the wall to prove it. Also, reviewing the movie I noted that Newman's cue had the same large white ivory butt that he made for my cue.

Thread Information