Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: No Table... Does this mean no practice?

Eh...some of us have seen the world. And I can confidently say, other than London, the US is the only place I would ever live. And inside the US, Texas or California is the only place for me.
    10 out of 10 people die eventually, so get over it

Quote Originally Posted by spartan
    then you look at earl strickland.... what a jerk
    LOL!!! I couldn't agree more...he's playing up his past accoplishments to try and keep himself in the limelight....it's sad really....
    Rack 'em up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DZ314
    Quote Originally Posted by dags_lax
    For some people turning something that you enjoy into your job tales the enjoyment out of it.
    Me either, it would still be fun even as a way of making a living.
    I don't know about everybody else, but I can think of alot worse ways to make a living than playing pool....so far it's been a good supplement to my crappy job that I have now... :cry:
    Rack 'em up!!!

Good player get paid just to show up at the tournament. Take Jennette Lee for example, she charged about 2,000 a day to play a 3 day tournament in Taiwan. This year she ask for 10,000 a day to play. But the tourney host dropped her like a bad habbit because absurd amount she asked for. Plus, she is even No.1 in the world.

sorry about the error, I meant that she is not the No.1 payer in the world.

thorsten is a world 9 ball champion is high run in straight pool is 416 and he said there is 2 guys in his hometown who he has never beaten at staraight pool. kinda strange isnt it?
    Im sure those two guys are quality players, but there may also be a psychological factor at work there as well. Hohmann probably idolized the best players in his hometown when he began to play pool. Its very hard to change that student / teacher dynamic. Even though I am the same rank now as my teacher, I dont play as well against him as I do against other equally skilled players.

Just a thought.
    "The trouble with shooting pool is that it's no good if you dont win"
    Walter Tevis - The Color of Money

Default Re: No Table... Does this mean no practice?

From us here it's 3 bucks an hour and i think this is really cheaper than what you are paying. But in my opinion if you love the game then money does not matter. Pool hall is better to practice for your skills as you will meet different players and they can guide you also. But in the case of practicing at home you never know what you are doing.

When I instruct beginning students on dialing in their fundamentals, I recommend that they throw a light blanket or sheet over the kitchen table and add boxes of cereal and spaghetti at the edges. Using tennis balls, they can work on muscle memory on strokes and stance. For a target, they can use a small can of something (tomato paste is popular).

For fun, they can shoot the CB tennis ball into the OB tennis ball with the intent of hitting a designated target. To simulate a rail, a short piece of 2x4 is used.

If the dinning table or kitchen table is long enough, use a set of pool balls. The cover prevents too much roll off, and you can actually do some draw and follow. For this, use stronger "rails".

It takes a couple minutes to set up, and you can practice shots during commercial breaks.

If you are old enough, the senior centers always have pool tables. There are also many fraternal organizations (Elks, Eagles, Moose, VFW, Legion, etc.) whose annual dues are minimal.
    Allan Sand, PBIA/ACS Instructor (& Author)
    Billiard Gods Blogs

I spent a great deal of my time in my early years hanging in the pool hall. Those days are really full of fun in bars and pool halls. Though I didn't find much time to play during day time, I used to play at night mostly whenever time permits.

Thread Information