Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gorilla Glue

Default Gorilla Glue

Anyone use this before? I just got a bottle and am trying to put a phenolic tip on with it. Any re-tippers out there got experience? Hopefully it does a better job than my Locktite, the phenolic tip is the first that ever came of a cue I re-tipped. Hopefully the Gorilla will cure that problem.

I know a guy who used it, he went in favor of the pro-bond. He is still not able to get the phenolic tips to stay on.

Default Re: Gorilla Glue

There are a couple of tricks in doing this. #1 is to have at least a nickel radius on the tip. The flatter the tip it tends to pop off easier. #2 we use the special T glue and we haven't had any problems yet.

Top Secret Nuclear Facility (No... Seriously)

If that doesn't work try nailing the tip on, or maybe even try a staple or two..

Kidding... Do you rough up both surfaces before applying the glue and sticking em together?

I believe so, audiopro. If it works to better bond golf club shafts into the hosel of the clubs then it should for cue tips! 8)
    Shooting Cue: DZ Custom Cue w/ DZ Graphite Insert Shaft, 13mm + 314 shaft, 12.75mm, 19.23oz, Talisman Pro M
    Breaking Cue: McDermott Alpha C152, 13.5mm, 17.91oz, Triangle Tip
    Hours of Pool/wk: ~10

Top Secret Nuclear Facility (No... Seriously)

Yeah, anytime I glue something I like to scuff the surfaces... Wondering if Tanar is doing so with his tips.. Smooth is bad, rough is good..

gorilla glue is really good for bonding things that are hard to stick together, but just maybe not for tipping. the reason being is that the glue expands ALOT! it is really hard to clean off. you should try it out on other things first to see how the gorilla glue works.

Well, I have already put the tip on and yes, it is messy to work with. We'll put it to the test and see what happens.

Audio,
    I do scuff both surfaces. I use my Tippik and lightly turn it across the surfaces and it scuffs it very nicley without damaging anything. I used my Locktite glue on another phenolic awhile back and it is still holding strong. I think the tip that popped off may have been a bad glue job on my part.....Oh well, I am doing all of this work for free, I don't like dissatisfied customers...

I used Loctite 495 to install my phenolic tip almost 3 months ago and I have yet to see any problems.

Yeah, I usually use locktite QuickTite gel andit is a great glue. I think it was just a bad glue job on my part. If anyone is interested, I'll let you know how the Gorilla works.

Thread Information